« ZurückWeiter »
or רחמתים .a damm
/ el ; plur ,רחמה ,as ; ותים or
,forty years ,ארבעים שנה ,ds
14. Some feminine nouns have moreover another plural termination, formed by changing 17 into en
; , , Onn, damsels. *
15. Numeral adjectives, from one to ten inclusively, though fingular in form, take a plural fubftantive; as, Suu ynx, four years. 758, a thousand, fol. lows this construction. All other numeral adjectives, though plural, in form, take a singular substantive ; as, ,
16. The masculine plural termination added to the cardinal numerals from three to nine inclusively, in creases their number tenfold. Twenty is expressed by the numeral ten, nwy, in the masculine plural.
17. Sometimes cardinal numerals seem to be used as substantives singular in reginien or construction it as, Songs, three days (a trinity of days); O nowy, ten days (a decade of days.)
18. When two substantives come together, signifying different things, the former of them is in regimen or construction; as, 1976 937, the word-of Fehovah. S Here 939 is in regimen.
19. Words are said to be absolute, when they are not in regimen or construction.
20. Adjectives and participles, coming before fubstantives, are also frequently in regimen.
* The feminine plural, formed by changing 77 into bin, is fometimes dual ; as, Dinzw, two years, Gen. XI. 10. XLI. 1.Dinny, two cubits, Exod. XXV. 10 and 17.-Ongd, two meafures, 1 Kings, XVIII. 32.-Dinxn, two hundred, Gen. XI. 19
+ For the definition of these terms, fee No. 18. Also No.
When a word is in regimen, of is joined to its English ; not to that of the following word : as, the word of Jehovah ; not the word of Jehovah.
21. Masculine nouns fingular suffer no change iti regimen* ; but in the plural they drop their ; as, PON958, kings-of a country.t
22. Nouns feminine singular ending in 7, when in regimen, change their into ; as, 1976 nyin. Other feminine nouns singular, as also feminines plural in my and M, suffer no change in regimen.
23. All nouns with suffixes are in regimen. I
24. The Comparative degree in Hebrew is made by yo or >, thus, va99 Espino, sweeter than honmy (sweet in comparison of honey.)
25. The fuperlative is formed by 789, very ; as, IND 319, very good : by repeating an adjective; as, 314 314, the best, or very good (good good): or, by the fame or a synonymous word repeated, the former being in regimen ; as, 754 Piny, a most abject Nave (servant of fervants).
26. One of the names of God is sometimes placed after the noun, fome quality of which is to be expressed in the superlative; as, *998, the loftieft
, or very lofty cedars (cedars of God).
27. Masculine nouns are thus declined :
דברים or דברס
.ותים and היס plural in
* Words are said to be constructed, when they are in regimen.
+ Some feminines plural end in '; as, D, wives, Silmaa, fae camels, , sbe goats, Swabs, concubines. Such feminines plural, like mafculines, drop in regimen, as do feminines
. Also fome feminine nouns fingular end in other letters beside 17 and n. See No. 8.
| See Sect. VII. No. 3. Note.
Ś In the book of Jonah, Chap. III. ver. 3. Nineveh is called Dining 777972 yy, an exceedingly great city (a city great to God). In the fame manner, Mofes is called by Saint Stepheny Afts, VII. 20. 05540s To Bw, exceedingly fair (fair to God).
:are thus declined ה Feminine nouns ending in
צדקות or צדקת
צדקות or צדקת
righteousness. 29. Feminine nouns ending in n are thus declined :
| אגרות or אגרת | אגרות or אגרת
: .a letter ,אגרת | אגרת
: .a Jster ,אחות | אחות
30. Feminine nouns in my are thus declined :
.a father ,אב
or אבת אחי
מי זס מימי
a Jon. .
[law. - a father-in
waters. . MD, a mouth.
ophy, a leaf. 32. Adjectives and participles are liable to all the changes to which fubftantives are. They are thus declined :
מים פים פיות or פיפיות
* It often happens, that nouns have a feminine termination in the fingular, and a masculine termination in the plural, according to this example : such nouos, derived from verbs Lamed He, are masculine, The reverse also occurs.
.in righteoufnels ,בצדק ; righteoufners ,צדק
1. These seven serviles , 7, 9, 3, 5, 2, and u are called prefixes, because they are often prefixed to words.
2. > signifies in ; (also, into, within, among, when, to, at, against, with, concerning, of, by, for, on account of, towards, upon; above, according to ) : as,
, ; , . 3. A is demonstrative, vocative, or relative ; and, when prefixed to nouns, fignifies the, that, or 0; when prefixed to verbs and participles, who, which, &c. and it is sometimes interrogative, or a note of admiration : as, 750, a king ; 7387, the, or that, or O king. It is frequently emphatic.
4. 1 fignifies and ; (as also, but, notwithstanding, that, or, nor, even, when, to wit, so, also, although, seeing that, tben, because, if) : as, 752, a king;
, . 5. 5 signifies as ; (also, like, according to, when): as, ry, a tree ; 1'0's, as a tree.
6. S signifies to, of, for ; (and until, upon, with, at, about, from, in, into, unto, on account of, after, according to, before, with); Thus, 172, a king; 750, to or of a king. 5 sometimes denotes pof. session or property; as, 95, they are mine, (sunt mihi).
7. o signifies from ; (out of, in, among, by or near, by means of, because of, in comparison of, against, before, not, left): as, 77, a mountain ; 172, from a mountain.
.and a king ,ומלך
8. vy signifies who or which ; (because, that, for, when): as, nx, he fhall take ; 17890, who Thall take.*
1. Under nouns, in Hebrew, are comprehended pronouns, so called, because they stand (pro nominibus) instead of nouns.
2. Grammarians divide pronouns into several kinds ; as, primitive, polelive, demonstrative, relative, and interrogative.
3. Primitive pronouns are distinguished into three persons. The first person singular is 'X, 9X, or nx, I, and me : plural, wx, + 3nwx, we and us.
second , S , thou and thee : plural, Shs or sons (masculine), ye and you ; yox, 7ans, or 750X (feminine), ye and you.
, , She : plural, 1 or 27 (generally masculine), they ; po or 07307 (generally feminine), they.
4. Fragments of the primitive pronouns, as " from 93x, 13 from 1928,|| joined to the end of nouns, sup
,הוא or היא ,be ,הוא The third perfon fingular is
.אנחנו for ,נחנו We rarely find + אתכן ,mafculine plural ,אתכם ,Jingular ,אתן Thus
, from |
* When the prefixes are applied in any manner not noted here, an attentive reader will be at no loss for their signification. + ), . # Masculine. Feminine.
, , , , , feminine plural, are taken 7, 73, and , thee and thy ; o, york