« ZurückWeiter »
Greenock, to Miss Margaret Haidane Law, 15. "At the Manfe of Lynė, Mr Ålexyoungest daughter of the deceased John ander M Grue. Law, writer in Edinburgh.
- Licut.-Col. Sir George Dunbar of 8. At N'w Hailes. Jimes Fergusson, Erq. Mochrum, Bart. for of Charles Ferguffon, Esq. of London, 16. A! Orwell, Kinrossshire, James Skelto Miss Jean Dalrymple, youngest daughter ton, Efq. of Orwell, in the 83d year of his of the late Sir David Dalrymple of Hailes, age. Bart. one of the Lords of Seflion.
17. At the Manse of Dunoon, the Rev. – Mr Alexander Howden, merchant in Mr John Melvill. Leith, to Miss Caffels, daughter of Andrew At Glasgow, Mr William Kingan, Cassels, Eiq one of the Magistrates of Leith. merchant.
28. Ac Innerkip, Robert Fullarton, Esq. 17. At Glasgow, the Roy. Dr George merchant, one of the present Magiftrates of Lawrie, Minister of Loudoun, in the 78ih Irvine, to Mrs Muir, relict of Mr James year of his age, and 36th of his ministry, Muir, snip-builder in Port Glasgow.
18. At Edinburgh, atter a month's painAt Falkirk, Lieutenant Archibald ful and lingering illness, (which the bore Colquhoun, Perthshire Light Dragoons, to with the greatest fortitude,) in the oth year Miss Janet Bathgate, of that place. of her age, Mifs Either Lewis, fecond DEATHS.
daughter of Lieutenant Colonel Theophilus April 8. Lieut W. Macredie, fon to W. Lewis, of his Majesty's Marine forces. She
Esq of Peerceton, Ayrshire. 6 was a very fine promising child, and to add Sept. 19. At New York, of the yellow to her parents' af ction, her death was ocfever, Mr Hay Sivvenson, merchant. 'casioned by her clothes taking fire (through
21. At the Helder, Colonel Augustus the carelessness and inattention of a fervairt Maitland, Commanding Officer of the 3d maid), by which she was burnt in a moft batt. of the itt regt. of Foot Guards, in con dreadiul manner. fequence of the wounds he received in the 19. At Logie, Alexander Gordon, M. D. action of the 6th'ult. in front of Egmont- Surgeon in the Royal Navy, and some time op-Zee; and was intérred on the 22d with Physician to the Aberdeen Dispensary. military honours.
21. At Kelso, Mr George White, Master Oct. 8. At Egnont-op. Zee, in confe- of the English school there. quence of a wound he received in his body At Glasgow, in the 75th year of her in the action of the 6th inflant in Holland, age, Agnes Mitchell, washerwoman. She Major Lindsay Crawfuril Campbell, eldest never resided out of the alley in which the Son of the late John Campbell, Esq. of New was born; never saw the bridge which was field, and grand-nephew to the late General built over the Clyde at the Broomieliw, John Earl of Crawfurd and Lindsay. above thirty years ago, but from the Green;
In his house in the Crescent, Bath, never travelled so far weft from the Gallow. John Riddell, Eg.
gate where she reliled, as to the head of the 9. At Dungannon, Mr James Fleming, Janiaica.street, a distance of half-a-mile; Surgeon.
never lost a tooth in her life, nor swallowed At Edinburgh, Mrs Jackson, relict one dose of medicine vill she was seized with of the deceased Dr Charles Jackson of Nic the illness of which she died. .cholatounfield.
22. Ac Shieldhall, near Glasgow, Mrs II. At Edinburgh, Mr Alex Duff, late Barbara Laird, spouse to Mr John Menzies, Deacon of the Incorporation of Wrigles, and of the Customs at Edinburgh. Slater to his Majesty's Board of Ordnance 23. Ar Han, Lady Lindsay, Reliet of, for Scouland.
the late Vice-Admiral Sir John Lindlas; 13. st London, Dr George Wilson of K. B. Stottencleugh, late playfician in Petersburgh, 25. Ar St. Laurence House, ne:r Hid. Virginia.
dington, Mr John Barclay, son of the late, - At Oxenden, James Auchinlock, Esq. Dr George Burclay of Middleton. of Woodcockdale.
26. Ac Lauder, Bailie George Lauder, At Belfast, Hamilton Young, Esq. Baker there. for several years merchant in New York. Ac Edinburgh, Mr Alexander Camp
14. At Carnichaugh, in the 61st year of bell, Writer to the Sigoet, his age, Capt. John Carfrae, of the Breadal Mrs Ingles, Reliet of the late Mr bane Fencibles.
Edward Ingles, Druggift in Edinburgh. At her house in North Castle Street, Ac Edinburgh, George Augusus the Hon. Mrs Steuart, widow of the Hon. Haldane, Esq. of Gleneagles. David Steuart, late of the Royal Navy. 27. At Edinburgh, Miss Marjory Stuart,
At Forge, Captain James Scott, late youngest daughter of James Stuart, Esq. of the Honourable Company's Marine, Blairhall. Bombay.
Ac Baldovie, John Farquharson, Esq.
FOR DECEMBER 1799.
With a view of the INCH-House, *he Segt of Charles-Little Gilmour,
Page Regifter of the Weather for Dec. 402 Cheap Method of preventing the High Water at Leith for January disagreeable Smell of Privies, 436 1800, ib. Medical Admonitions,
ibid. The Gleaner, No. XIV. 403 On the Division of Time,
440 Account of the Chamelion of B. Life of Godfred Auguftus Bur gypt,
ger, Parallel between the Merits of Historical Remarks on Suicide, 446
Lavoisier and Dr Priestley, ib. The Orphans Protected ; or, the Description of the View,
407 Duty of relying upon ProviThoughts on Various Subjects, ib. deace; a Tale,
449 Deseription of the Vale of Clyde, (roncluded,)
409 On the present Aspect of the
POETRY. times, 411 A Dirge,
453 Easy Method of Cleaning and Maria, or the Wanderer,
455 bleaching Copperplate Impres. Epitaph on Dụke Hamilton, ib. foons or Prints, 415 Song. By Mrs Opie,
456 History of Knowledge, Learn. The Well of St Keyne,
ib. ing, and Talte, in Great Bri. tain, during the reign of King
Charles II. Part II. 417 Proceedings of Parliament, 457 Inquiry concerning the Weight
ascribed to Heat.-By Benja.
min, Count of Rumford, 423 Interesting Inte ligence from the Account of fome Experimente on London Gazettes,
460 the Fecundation of Vegetables. Affairs in Scotland,
475 In a Letter from Thomas An Bir:hs and Marriages,
476 drew Knight, Esq. to the Right Deaths,
477 Hon. Sir Joseph Banks,
431 Index for Vol. XIV.
State of the BAROMETER, in inches and decimals,
and of Farenheit's THERMOMETER in the openi air, taken in the morning before sun-rise, and at noon; and the quantity of rain-water fallen, in inches and decimals, from December ist to 31st, in the vicinity of Edinburgh.
I 19 2 IS
o 52 1 47 2 42
High Water at Leith.
for JANUARY 1800.
3 9 3 34
47 9 15 M. 20.
941 IO 1
1799. Barom. Thermom. Rain. Dec.
N. In. Pts.
0.35 3 29.3 40
0.3551 4 29.501
43 5 29.765
42 29.8 38
39 9 29.915 39 41 jo 30.025 42 43 II
30. 41 41 12 29.98 41 13
29.9 14 | 29.8 15 29.725 37 16 | 29.65 37 37 17 29.7 37 37 1829.915
34 19 30.3 31 33 20 30.415 30 35 21 30.2
29 35 22
30.211 32 35 23 30.
33 24 | 29.841
29 34 25 29.791
35 26 | 29.91
36 38 27 30.2.55 35 35 28
30.2 20 32
28 34 31 30.256
42 38 39 38
Rain Ditto Ditto Cloudy Showers Cloudy Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto Stormy Ditto Clear Ditto Snow Stormy Clear Cloudy Clear Stormy Clear Ditto Ditto Ditco
Fr. 24 Sa. 25.
Quantity of Rain 0.9001