2009 RUSA Outstanding Reference
CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title for 2009
"Given both the interdisciplinarity of the field of gender scholarship and the immense significance of gender to both indviduals and societies, it is probably impossible to produce such a compendium. The editor, advisory team, and contributors are to be credited for tackling a project of such immense scope...O'Brien's commitment to the possibility of a more-informed discourse on the highly complex and nuanced topic of gender and society promises to benefit a broad readership...Highly recommended for academic libraries of all sizes and for large public libraries."
—Booklist STARRED Review
"All topics in this wide-ranging resource are addressed in an unbiased and unprejudiced manner, and facts are stated clearly and coherently. The coverage of changing topics is kept current. A valuable addition to any library."
For decades,scholars of gender have been documenting and analyzing the various ways in which gender shapes individual lives,cultural beliefs and practices, and social and economic organization.Including contributions by experts in the field, the Encyclopedia of Gender and Society covers the major theories, research, people, and issues in contemporary gender studies. This comprehensive, two-volume encyclopedia is distinguished by a cross-national/cross-cultural perspective that provides comparative analyses of the life experiences of men and women around the world.
· Provides users with a "gender lens" on society by focusing on significant gender scholarship within commonly recognized areas of social research
· Offers "framing" essays that summarize commonly used concepts and directions of research and provide an overview of each area (e.g., Media and Gender Socialization; Religion, Gender Roles in; Sexuality and Reproduction; Women's Social Movements, History of)
· Examines basic aspects of social life from the most individual (self and identity) to the most global (transnational economics and politics).
· Contains new information on well-known subjects, including surprising facts that may counter common assumptions and research in areas of study where the impact of gender has been traditionally overlooked
· Reflects cutting-edge discussion and scholarship on current issues and debates regarding gender and society