Abbildungen der Seite

politics and religion connected with it. The theme is excessively broad, but the practised hand of the author was skilful in putting much information within narrow limits. The whole was accomplished in so short a time, with so much success, and with so much profit and pleasure to all who will read it, that we can only wish that Dean Milman's example may be widely followed, and that every Dean will throw himself into the history of his cathedral with that freshness of interest which, Mr. Arthur Milman tells us, was the character of his father, 'who ever did with all his might whatsoever he found to do.'"

Principal Principal James David Forbes died on the last day of the old year at Clifton in his sixtieth year. TheAthenceum of the 9th of January, 1869, states: "111 health had led him to retire, a few months before his death, from the principalship of the United Colleges of St. Salvador and St. Leonard, at St. Andrews. He was educated in the University of Edinburgh, and there he became Professor of Natural Philosophy in

1833 The publication of his 'Travels through

the Alps of Savoy,' of his 'Norway and its Glaciers,' and of his 'Occasional Papers on the Theory of Glaciers, ' all marked his careful

observations and his philosophical acumen

We have had occasion to notice briefly in this journal his theory of glaciers. He affirmed a His theory glacier to be a viscous body, i. e. an imperfect of8laciersfluid, which is urged down slopes of a certain inclination by the mutual pressure of its parts. Viscosity was illustrated by the consistency of thick mortar, tar, or mixtures of plaster and glue. Dr. Tyndall strongly opposed this hypothesis, although it certainly accounted for most of the phenomena of glacier motion. His lectures on this subject at the Royal Institution, and his well-known volume on the Glaciers of the Alps, have acquainted the philosophical public with the details of his objections to Dr. Forbes, and of his own experiments and views. He applied Faraday's discovery of the property of regelation in fractured ice to explain the motion of glaciers, and has ably maintained his theory, although the question cannot be regarded as entirely set at rest. These matters of theory, however, in no degree involved the merit of Dr. Forbes as a patient observer and as an able experimenter on glacial motion. His notes on the Mer de Glace alone entitle him to high credit, while his details on topography were at one time of great value."

Twelfth Night at Drury Lane calls for a note Twelfth on the 16th of January: "Seventy-five years have elapsed since Baddeley, the comedian, left Robert funds for cake and wine to be partaken of on B:»ddeleyTwelfth Night by the Drury Lane company, 'in

the Great Green Room, for ever.' The anniversary was duly honoured this year, when Mr. Chatterton supplemented an additional cake and other good cheer. Mr. W. Bennet, the trustee of the fund, no longer gave 'The memory of David Garrick,' but the proper and original toast,' The memory of Robert Baddeley.' This actor was the last who used to go down to the theatre in his uniform of scarlet and gold, worn by the patented players as 'Gentlemen of their Majesties' Household.'" The great The arrival in Melbourne of "the magnificent telescope. reflector which is henceforth to be known as the Great Melbourne Telescope" is announced on the 27th of March. "Mr. Ellery, the Government Astronomer in Victoria, reports that a rectangular building, eighty feet by forty, with travelling roof, was in course of erection to lodge the instrument; and as it was to be finished in two months, we may believe that the telescope has been tried, and that the Colonial Legislature have not repented of their vote of 5,000/. to pay for it. That their liberality has not abated is manifest by their granting a further sum of 1,700/. to pay for the building." Mr. Le Sueur, the astronomer selected to work the telescope, was on the spot to receive it. Sir C. Sir Wentworth Dilke left London for St. Dilke. Petersburg in the middle of April, where he had been invited as the representative of England at the exhibition of the Russian Horticultural Societies. His health had been failing for some time, and it was hoped that the change of scene might prove beneficial. The day before leaving he called on Mr. Francis to say farewell, and left with him a plan of his arrangements extending to the nth of June. On Sunday, the 10th of May, intelligence was brought of his alarming illness, and a telegram received on the Monday stated that he had died that day .at St. Petersburg. The following notice of him appeared in the Times on the 12th :—

"Much regret has been caused among a large circle of Obituary friends by the news, which reached London yesterday by noti^Jn telegraph from Russia, that Sir Charles Wentworth Dilke had died at St. Petersburg, after a short illness which unexpectedly proved fatal, at the age of fifty-eight. The late baronet, who was born in London in 1810, was the only son of the late Mr. Charles Wentworth Dilke, chief proprietor and at one time editor of the Athenaum newspaper, and subsequently the manager of the Daily News, and who died about eight years ago. His mother was Maria, daughter of Mr. E. Walker. He was educated at Westminster School, and subsequently at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, where he took his degrees in Law instead of Arts. In early life he was associated with the literary labours of his father, whom he largely aided by his cultivated tastes, his wide range of information, sound judgment, and habits of business. He was one of the earliest promoters of the first Great Exhibition, and, indeed, acted as

the leading member of the Executive Committee. The fact of his occupying such a position naturally brought Mr. Dilke into close and frequent contact with the late Prince Consort, who was much struck with the ability he displayed, and at whose suggestion the honour of knighthood was offered to him in recognition of his services. That honour, however, he declined ; and with it refused all pecuniary remuneration, wishing his services to be purely honorary. Her Majesty, however, resolved that he should not be wholly unrewarded, sent to Mrs. Dilke a handsome diamond bracelet, which, no doubt, will become an heirloom in the Dilke family. Mr. Dilke was also associated with the second Great Exhibition as one of the five Royal Commissioners appointed by Her Majesty. It has always been understood also that the resuscitation of the Royal Horticultural Society of London has been in a very great measure due to his exertions as one of the most active of its vice-presidents. It will be remembered that almost immediately after the death of the Prince Consort Her Majesty was pleased to confer a baronetcy on Mr. Dilke in recognition of the Prince's friendship and personal regard for him. Sir Charles Wentworth Dilke sat in the last Parliament in the Liberal interest for Wallingford." His marriage. He married Mary, daughter of Capt. Chatfield, of the Madras Cavalry, who died in 1853, and by whom he left two sons, Charles Wentworth and Ashton Wentworth.* He was buried in the

Ashton W. * Mr- Ashton W. Dilke died at Algiers on Monday, Dilke. the 12th of March, 1883. The notice which appears in the Athenaum on the following Saturday states that he was born in 1850. On leaving Cambridge he visited many parts of Russia and Central Asia. "On his return

« ZurückWeiter »