Abbildungen der Seite
[blocks in formation]

Owing to a misunderstanding between the hitchers, the drop cage of a simultaneous loading

apparatus at the pit bottom was allowed to descend on deceased as he was clearing

rubbish from under it. Some men were working at the top of the cage, which was hung in the pit a short distance

from the bottom, while deceased was beneath the cage screwing up the bolts of the H-piece of the Cornish pump. The men on the top deck signalled for the cage to be lowered, and it crushed deceased to death. The men on the cage say that they shouted a warning to deceased and received an answer. The bottom men denied this.

[blocks in formation]

Ropes or Chains Breaking.
A bergorky, No. 3,

Burnyeat, Brown, & Co.,


Jan. 27,
1.40 P.M.

Joseph John,


As a journey of 19 trams of coal was being drawn out of a double parting, the shackle

between the 7th and 8th trams parted, and 12 trams ran back. Deceased was found dead
on the side of the road, and, from his position, it was inferred that he had either
attempted to cross the shackles, or had got on a shackle with the idea of riding out.
Though described as a rider, he was really a shackler, and had no permission to ride.

It was the last journey in the shift and he himself had shackled the trams.
The deceased were killed by a runaway journey, which crashed into them as they were

waiting at the pit bottom to ascend at the end of their shift. See report on page 33.

Apr. 28, 1.45 P.M.

Dowlais Cardiff,


Guest, Keen, and Nettle

folds, Ltd.

Morgan Richards, 39,

Henry Jones, 38,

Herbert Moon, 31,

Ernest Watts, 31,

Alfred Harper, 37,
Assistant Kipper.
Robert Williams,

June 21, 2 P.M.



Atlantic Merthyr Col

lieries, Ltd.


As five trams of coal were being drawn up a road, rising 16 ing. per yard, a link of the short

chain, connecting the rope to the trams broke, and the journey ran back and killed the deceased. The link was 6 months old. I advised that a stronger chain should be used in future. This has been done.

Lamp locker.

[blocks in formation]

Deceased was standing at the entrance to sump, to allow a journey of trams of coal to pass

by, when one of the trams went off the rails and threw him into the sump. He sustained injuries from which he died on June 23rd.

* All mines are coal mines, unless otherwise specified. + Report to H.M. Secretary of State for the Home Department on the circumstances attending an irruption of water at Caradog Vale Colliery, by Sir David Brynmor Jones, Kt., K.C.,

and F. A. Gray, one of His Majesty's Inspectors of Mines.

[ocr errors]
[blocks in formation]


Feb. 7,
12.5 A.M.

Cambrian Collieries Ltd...

Cambrian, No. 2,


Samuel Coulthard,


[blocks in formation]

Deceased was filling rubbish into trams, when five laden trams, farther out, put into motion

by a tram being drawn against them by the rope, ran down and killed him. The riders in charge of the one tram said that they signalled to the engineman to stop, but to

no purpose. The engineman denied having received a signal.
Deceased was sitting on the cross-bar of an empty tram drawn by a horse, when some small

stones from between the laggings of some double timbers fell on the horse's back and
caused it to spring forward. Deceased lost his balance and fell forward under the tram.
He died in three days, having sustained a fracture of the spine.

[blocks in formation]

Deceased was riding up an engine plane on the chain attaching the rope to a journey

of five trams, when he fell off and was drawn about 150 yards. When the journey
was brought to a stand, he was found partly under the second tram. He died before

he could be got free. None of the trams were derailed.
Deceased was illegally riding on the last shackle of a journey of coal, and in jumping

off before it came to a stand he fell backwards under the trams. He died the next day.
Deceased had to take seven trams of stones down a dip about 130 yards. Instead of

dividing the number into two or three lots, he started to take them all in one journey.
He had put two sprags in each tram, but the weight on the down gradient of 2 ins. per
yard caused the trams to increase in speed, and this frightened the horse. It turned to
one side and pulled the front tram off the road, and deceased, who was riding on the
gun, was crushed. He died in two days.
Through a mistake an empty journey was drawn in along a level before all the horses

had been brought out. A haulier and deceased were following a horse out. When
the journey touched the horse it turned round, and in doing so throw deceased under the

Deceased had finished his shift, and was sitting on a tram filled with sawdust, about

100 yards from the pit. As a full journey was passing outwards he jumped partly on
a tram of rubbish, fell, and was run over.


[merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small]

Deceased attempted to take four trams of coal down a road, dipping 1 in 9, when the weight

overpowered the horse and ran him down. Deceased was probably struck by the end of
the shaft while attempting to hold the horse back. The first two trams had no sprags,
but the wheels of the last two were all spragged. Two trams were usually taken down

that road.
Deceased was taking two trams of coal along a heading dipping 1} ins. per yard. He was
riding on the gun,

and must have struck his head against a piece of low roof and fractured his neck. He was found lying on the ground in front of the tram. The heading was only 5 ft. high, and riding should have been prohibited until it was made higher.


July 16, 1 P.M.



Nixon's Navigation Co.,


Albert Shepherd,

18, Haulier.

[blocks in formation]

Deceased was taking his horse to the stable, and when within about 30 yds, of it, was

knocked down by an outgoing journey and fatally injured. He could see that the main rope was in motion, and I cannot understand why he did not get out of the way. The horse turned and ran back in front of the journey, and was uninjured. The roadway was of ample dimensions, and was provided with sufficient manholes, opposite to one of which

deceased was found. Deceased was taking a stranger along a haulage road to the shaft, when he walked into an

ingoing empty journey. Deceased had been deceived when the journey started in. He thought it was back at the pit, whereas it was only 200 yds. away, and had been standing at that spot for some time. The road was of good width and height, and there were

sufficient manholes. Deceased was riding on one of the shackles of a journey, when his head must have been

crushed against a low piece of roof, which caused him to fall under the trams. When

roads cannot be maintained higher than 5 ft. riding should be strictly forbidden.
Deceased had attached his horse to a an empty tram, and was going towards the horse's

head when it started off at a trot. Deceased caught hold of a part of the harness and
ran along for about 22 yds., when he fell, and was run over. The under-manager
was within 3 or 4 yds, of deceased when the accident occurred. The horse is said to be

very quiet. Why he started off is a mystery.
An empty tram had been tumbled on its side, between the road and the gob of a stall, to

allow the fuli tram to pass out. As the full tram was passing, it struck the empty one,
pushed it forward, and crushed deceased against an arm. The lad had only worked five
weeks underground, and had not seen the operation carried out before, so was unaware
of the dangerous position he had taken. The collier in charge should have seen that he
was in a safe place, and that there was sufficient room for the tram to pass.


Sept. 3, 10.30 A.M.

Fochriw, No. i,


[blocks in formation]

Deceased attempted to run in advance of a journey of coal, which was being drawn through

the slum” to the other side of the shaft, when he either fell, or was knocked down,

and run over.
Deceased was standing at the lower end of a double parting, when on the shackler

separating the first six full trams from the rest to shackle them to ether, they
ran down and crushed him against the side. The parting dipped outwards 3 ins. per
yard, and stop blocks should have been provided. The trams had eleven sprags in

the wheels.
Deceased was walking between an empty journey and a full one that he was taking

towards the shaft, when the front tram got off the road, and crushed him against an
empty tram. There was nothing to account for the tram getting off, as the road was in
good order. The roadway was 13 ft. wide and 10 ft. high, and there was a space of

45 ins. between the two roads. The trams were going very slowly.
Deceased was taking with his horse a journey of four tanks and two trams down a road

dipping 24 ins. per yard. He had put eleven sprags in the wheels of the six trams. A
man was walking in behind the journey, when it come to a stop, and at the saine time
he heard a cry. He went forward, and found the horse disengaged, and deceased under
the first tank. He had been riding on the gun when the little pin jumped up, and he

fell to the ground.
Deceased, an experienced rider, was taking a journey of empty trams along a main level

and when he passed light carrier he was riding with his legs outside the tram. When
the journey arrived at its destination without a rider, a search was made, and he was
found lying on the side of the road. He was conscious and said that he had struck his
head against a pair of timber. The roadway was 10 ft. wide and 6 ft. 2 ins, high. He

should have ridden on the rope or in one of the trams.
Deceased was bringing one tram of coal down a heading with a horse. Near the bottom of

the heading he was found under the tram, from which the horse had become detached. He had probably been riding on the gun.

[merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small]

* All minos are coal mines, unless otherwise specified.

[blocks in formation]
[blocks in formation]

Deceased was bringing out four trams of rubbish drawn by a rope attached to a small

portable engine. About 15 yards from the engine, the main rope ought to have been
detached, and the trams run into the parting drawing the tail rope after them. It had
been agreed that the trams were not to be stopped until the rider signalled. This he
appears not to have done with the result that the trams were not stopped until opposite
the engine, when the main rope caused the front tram to cant up and crush deceased
against the timber. My impression was that he was trying to detach the rope without

Deceased and his son were walking out on the Branch East endless haulage plane with one

light between them. He slipped when passing a laden tram and fell under the wheels,
which passed over his legs, as did those of several other trams. The roadway was of
ample dimensions, with a space of 1 ft. 10 ins. between the two roads, sufficient manholes,

and also room to stand between the trams and the sides. He died on Nov. 10th.
A journey of 10 trams of coal was being lowered down a road, dipping 1 in 4, when the

rope drew out of the cap, and the journey ran down, overtook deceased, and killed him.
The cap was said to have been examined that morning, and was considered all right. The

ropes will be recapped quarterly in future, instead of half-yearly.
Deceased was going up a rise heading when the journey, which is lowered by a tail

rope, commenced to move. A man standing near called and asked deceased if he was
safe. He replied that he was safe in a manhole. Screams were soon after heard, and
deceased was found lying on the road. His cap and lamp were found near the next
manhole, showing that he had tried to reach it after telling the man that he was safe in
a manhole. The road was wide and high enough, and there were sufficient manholes.

[blocks in formation]

As deceased was lifting the cross-bar end of an empty tram on to the rails, on a road

dipping 2 ing. per yard, he fell backwards into the tram. The tram ran down 140 yards,
jumped off the road, and knocked some timbers out. Deceased was found to have

sustained a fracture of the skull, which caused his death in two days.
Deceased was struck on the head and killed by a crab handle. The haulago rope was

attached to the crab to be pulled in, and a signal was said to have been given to the
engineman to slack out, instead of which he said that he received a signal to pull in. He
did so, with the result that the crab was caused to revolve rapidly. The accident was

due to bungling over the signals.
Deceased was letting a loaded tram down, holding a sprag in one hand. When the sprag

tightened, one of his fingers was crushed between it and a piece of timber lying near the rail. His finger was split from knuckle to tip. He bound it up with a piece of the lining of his coat and continued his work. He died from tetanus in 15 days.


Aug. 1, 11.30 A.M.



United National Collieries,


Thomas Davies,

25, Haulier.


Sept. 22, 1.30 P.M.



Ocean Coal Co., Ltd.


David Thomas,

68, Doorkeeper.

Deceased was opening a door for a full journey to pass out, when the rope swerved when

tightening and struck him on the foot. He died from the results of the accident on October 29th.


June 11,
2.30 P.M.

By Machinery.
Ferndale, No. 1,

D. Davis & Sons, Ltd.

Abel Thomas,


Deceased was lowering av empty journey down a dip, when three trams got off the rails.

This resulted in slack rope being given out before deceased could stop his engine. Soon
afterwards the journey began to be drawn out, and deceased was found on the drum with
coils of rope around him. He must have been arranging the coiling of the rope, and
got caught.

[blocks in formation]

Deceased was pulling down a piece of coal in the four-feet_seam when he stumbled, fell

across the rails of the Barry face, and fractured his ribs. Ignorant of the extent of his
injury, he walked 1,100 yards to the shaft, and three miles home. He did not work
afterwards. Inflammation of the lung, caused by the laceration, supervened, and he
died on March 2nd.


[blocks in formation]



By Machinery.
April 26th, Big Rock,

Di. Thomas & Sons

Llewellyn Morley, Deceased started a small crab engine during the engineman's absence, and by some means 14,

got drawn on to the drum. When found by the engineman there were three coils of rope 10.30 A.M. Glamorgan.


round his body. Aug. 18th, Cambrian, Cambrian Collieries, Ltd. Patrick Raleigh, Deceased were struck by the falling jib of a steam derrick used in the excavation of

foundations for a power house. The driver was told to pick up the jib, when it dropped 9.45 A.M. Glamorgan.


with great force into the excavation. The derrick was examined that morning, and was James Hamer,

considered to be in good working order. After the accident certain defects were noticed 42,

which might have been caused by the accident, or which might have been the cause of

it. The foreman enginewright and the mechanical engineer who supplied the derrick
were of the opinion that the driver had reversed his engine when he should not have

done so.
Dec. 29th Llanbradach,
Cardiff Steam Coal Col.

Deceased was struck on the head by the crank of the winding engine. Just before the

Isaac Powell, 10 A.M. Glamorgan. lieries Co., Ltd.


accident he was seen with a brush and bucket in his hands. After the accident his body
Engine-cleaner. was found outside the crank-pit fence, while the head of his brush was in the crank-pit.

He had evidently attempted to sweep it out.
On Railways, Sidings or Tramways.
Jan. 18th, South Duffryn,
Hill's Plymouth Co., Ltd.

Deceased was holding a horse by the side of a railway for a locomotive and train to pass
John B. Jones,

by. The horse got frightened, and by some means swung deceased on to the rails, and he
1 P.M.

May 22nd, Gelli Steam,
Cory Bros. & Co., Ltd.

Deceased was passing between two wagons of small coal, under the screens, in order to
Theodore Higgins,

remove the “ scotch
4.45 P.M.


from under the hind wheel of the front wagon, so as to run it Glamorgan.


down the siding, when the second loaded wagon, also scotched, moved forward and blocked him between the buffers before either “ scotch was removed. The wagons were

bumped on by others that were let in to the siding. Aug. 22, Fforchaman, Powell Duffryn Steam

Deceased was found in a dying condition, having been run over by empty wagons. He had

John Lake,
4.40 P.M.
Coal Co., Ltd.

been lowering empties towards the screen on a road dipping 1 in 36, but how the
Wagon man.

accident occurred no one knows.
Aug. 24, Ferndale, No. 7,
D. Davis & Sons, Ltd.

Deceased was standing on a full truck, when the brakesman told him to get duwn, us he

Geo. Blatchford, 9.30 A.M.

was about to let some empties down against it. Deceased said that he was right enough, Glamorgan.

25, Trimmer.

and did not get down. When the empties bumped against the full one, deceased fell off

on to the rail and was run over. * All mines are coal mines, unless otherwise specified.


was run over.


[ocr errors]
[ocr errors][merged small][merged small]
« ZurückWeiter »