Abbildungen der Seite




In Lincoln, the Hon. SAMUEL HOAR, aged This excellent man lived to a great and good purpose, and set a worthy example in public and private,-in faithfulness, industry, temperance, and the virtues which adorn the social circle and the ordinary walks of life. sphere in which he moved, by the allotment of Divine Providence, was not indeed so enlarged and conspicuous as that of many others; but for real worth of character and usefulness in society, he was excelled by few; and he justly merited the high respect and gratitude of his fellow citizens. Through a protracted and active life, and in various offices, he sustained a character uniform, dignified and religious. The natural powers of his mind were strong and vigorous above mediocrity, and were cultivated by mental exertion and a wise improvement of the advantages within his reach. He was a thinking and reasoning man, but not loquacious nor ambitious. He was a warm and zealous patriot,-was engaged as an officer in the fight at Concord, on the memorable 19th of April, 1775, and afterwards in the Continental army; and from that time, till advanced age, he was employed in public business. At some periods, his political opinions, as to men and measures, differed from those of some of his copatriots and other distinguished characters; but no one called in question the uprightness of his intentions, nor his love of country and "liberty with order." For a long series of years he represented his native town in the General Court, and for a number was a member of the Senate. As a magistrate of the county he long held a commission, and "held the sword of justice not in vain." In the relation of citizen, husband, parent, and neighbor, he won the affection, respect, and honor of all connected with him, and was acknowledged a great support and blessing to the town and the church. Having early professed the Christian religion and persevered in its practice, he enjoyed its consolations in his last painful disorder. Being satisfied with life, submissive to the will of God, and sustained by the hope of the gospel, he quietly fell asleep.

In Boston, RICHARD DERBY, Esq. formerly a Captain in the United States Navy, aged 67. Capt. Derby was a native of Salem, and for many years a most active ship-master, alike distinguished for his enterprize and humanity. About the year 1793 or 1794, the French Consul went to Salem, with the principal French gentlemen in Boston, and presented him the colors of the French Republic, for his humanity in taking a large a number of Frenchmen, who were left by the English in a state of starvation, and transporting them where they would be relieved. When the Essex Frigate was built by the Salem merchants for the government, Capt. Derby, at their recommendation, was appointed to the command, but not arriving in season, he was appointed to the command of another ship. He served several years as a Captain in the Navy, and if he had not resigned, would have been for many years past the senior officer in the Navy. But being engaged successfully in commerce, he did not think it proper, whilst pursuing his mercantile operations, to hold his commission, and resigned. Having sustained a reverse of fortune, he was appointed by President Adams, Navy Agent at Pensacola-from this office he was removed by President Jackon, and about a year since was appointed to the command of the Revenue Cutter.

In Boston, June 12, Mr. ROBERT R. HOWARD, aged 21. He was drowned with eight other gentlemen of the city, by the upsetting of a boat in the harbor.

The memory of the virtues is a precious inheritance to the living;-and when such are taken from us by a striking dispensation of Providence, and under circumstances peculiarly distressing and painful, the remembrance of what they were, and a faithful delineation of their character, is not only necessary but useful as a source of consolation to the mourner, as an example to the living, and as an act of justice to those whose departure we are called upon so feelingly and truly to lament. Of this number is ROBERT R. HOWARD. He was just entering upon the active business and duties of life,engaging with earnestness in the benevolent enterprises of the day, and was soon to have bound himself by a still dearer tie to society, when "the silver cord was loosed" and his usefulness terminated, by the calamity of the past week, and brought to an early, we had almost said, a premature death. Young Howard was educated at our public schools, and such was his diligence, application, and talents, that on leaving the High School he was as conspicuous for his attainments, as he was respected and beloved for his amiable deportment, his benevolence of feeling, and the purity of his moral character. His classmates will long remember him as a member of the Scholar's Club, and the interest which he at all times manifested in the welfare of each and all of their number. For a young man, his mind was uncommonly mature. His thoughts on most subjects were accurate, and well defined; and there was a propriety and modesty in the expression which he gave to them that won the regard even of those who were personally strangers to him. In more than one particular he was a model for the young. At the early age, we think, of seventeen, he became a teacher in the Sunday School of the Society where he worshipped; and those who were associated with him in this labor, will long delight to dwell upon the interest which he manifested in this important subject, the striking punctuality and consistency with which he always met his little class to the last Sunday which he spent on earth, and the intelligence, engagedness, and love which he brought to the performance of this interesting duty. He cherished habitually serious impressions for himself, and endeavored to impart them to those entrusted to his care. By precept, however, as well as by example, it was his constant aim to associate all that was pleasant, and cheerful, and truly happy, with the subject of Religion; and no precepts or living example could be more persuasive than his, to accomplish this desirable end. There was another trait in the character of young Howard which we must not omit to notice. This trait was the earnest desire he constantly exhibited to develop in equal proportions all the faculties of his nature;-and the result of it was, a beautiful propriety in the discharge of all his duties, relative, social, political and religious. Young as he was, he had already won no small space in the confidence of the community. Active in the associations to which he belonged, he was called, at times, to act in an official manner in plans of benevolence and usefulness. But his deportment was so unassuming, his discharge of duty so faithful and acceptable, and his manners so kind and conciliating, that the en

vious envied him not, the young and thoughtless were disposed to imitate, and the old rejoiced in the promise which he gave of great future usefulness. In business, he displayed activity, intelligence and strict probity; and had intimated that at the proper time he should make the necessary sacrifice in it to subserve the great cause of Temperance. The loss of such an individual must be deeply deplored, even by the community at large. But at home! where he was an only and beloved son-where he was the idol of affectionate sisters, and where he was garnered up in the heart of one still more dear, if possible, it would be a vain attempt to repress their unutterable anguish by any words of consolation. They must find them in the rich legacy he has left behind him, in such an inestimable and interesting character; in the hope that he has gone before to receive an eternal reward; and, above all, to seek for an unfailing support, where he himself would have brought them to seek it, in the hopes, promises, and rewards of the Gospel.

In Swanzey, Mr. SAMUEL HILLS, aged 78, a soldier of the revolution, and one of the few survivors of the ill-fated Canada campaign of 1775. He was taken prisoner on the retreat of the American army from Canada, in the spring of 1776, and suffered every thing that human nature could endure in the dungeons of Montreal. In October of that year, he was liberated on parole by the humane Sir Guy Carlton, then Governor of Canada, and sent to Crown Point in an armed ship-from thence, being unable to walk, on account of long confinement and disease, he traversed the then wilderness of Vermont, on crutches. The effect of these early sufferings in the sacred cause of freedom, he felt through life; but the only compensation he ever received from his country, was a few continental shillings. He was an intelligent, honest man, and his life was one of religion and virtue.

In Warren, R. I. Nathaniel Phillips, Esq. in the 76th year of his age. He was an officer in the Revolutionary army, and faithfully served his country during the whole course of that eventful struggle, which terminated so gloriously for the cause of liberty. He served in Sullivan's expedition on Rhode Island; and shared in all the sufferings that befel the American army in their retreat through New-Jersey. At the organization of the Federal Government, Mr. Phillips was appointed by Gen. Washington, surveyor of the port of Warren; which office he continued to hold until his death. He has, also, during the last thirty years, served as Secretary to the Warren Insurance Company. He served an apprenticeship to the printing business, in Boston, and subsequently was employed in the office of Isaiah Thomas, Esq. and in 1792, established in Warren, the "Herald of the United States," the first paper printed in the county, and continued it for a number of years.

In Fallsburg, N. Y. GARRET VAN BENSCHOTEN, aged 77. He took an active part in achieving our independence; he was in several engagements, and was at the battle of Fort Montgomery; he was one of the few that stood by their cannon and continued to fire on the enemy until they came up to wrest a torch from the hand of Capt. Bruyn, whose invincible courage would not permit him to show the enemy his back on such occasions.

In New-York, Mr. ROBERT DUNN, 74. During the revolutionary war, Mr. Dunn was a commander of the express riders, and in this important station was actively and efficiently engaged during the whole war, under the very eye of the Father of our Country, whose confidence

he enjoyed, and by whom he was entrusted with the most important secrets of the war.

In Reading, Penn June 10, JOSEPH HEISTER, aged 81, greatly beloved by his family and friends, and generally esteemed by all who had the happiness of his acquaintance. He served faithfully and creditably as an officer in the war of independence. He was a member of the Convention which formed the Constitution of Pennsylvania; he sat for several years in the Senate of Pennsylvania, and was many times elected to serve, and did for many sessions serve in the House of Representatives of the United States. In 1820 he was elected Governor of Pennsylvania, and discharged the important duties of that high station to public satisfaction and to the promotion of the public weal. He declined a re-election, and from that period lived happily in the bosom of his family.


At Mount Vernon, on the 14th of June, of a protracted pulmonary complaint, JOHN AUGUSTINE WASHINGTON, in the 44th year of his age. This estimable gentleman was the eldest surviving child of Corbin Washington, who was a nephew to General Washington, and a brother of the late venerated Judge WashingMr. Corbin Washington died early in life, but his infant children found in the benevolent Judge a most anxious, indulgent, and judicious parent, who, but a short time since bequeathed the family mansion (a place of so much interest) to the lamented subject of this notice, who has so speedily followed his uncle to the tomb. Mr. Washington, from taste, devoted himself to agricultural pursuits, in which his habit of thinking and acting fitted him to be, as he was, eminently successful. His manners wers gentle and unassuming. No man ever had a kinder heart, and few men a more discriminating or unerring judgement; yet, so retiring was he that those alone could justly estimate the higher qualities of his nature who had the happiness of an intimate acquaintance with him. His life furnished an example of scrupulous discharge of every domestic and social duty.

In Alexandria, Va. Hon CHARLES C. JOHNSTON, one of the Representatives from Virginia in the Congress of the United States. The circumstances of his death are reported thus: He had gone to Alexandria to visit a friend, on Sunday, June 17; he passed the evening at his friend's house, and left it, in the midst of the storm then raging, to go to the wharf, with a view to take passage on board the mail-boat Sydney, which leaves Alexandria at about nine o'clock, P. M. for the city of Washington. He was attended by a servant, who left him when he had shown him within sight of the wharf. This was the last seen or heard of him until his body was found on Monday afternoon. It is beyond a doubt that he walked into the slip, and struck his head in falling, or he would have saved himself, being an expert swimmer. His remains were carried to his lodgings on Tuesday morning, attended by a committee of the Corporation of Alexandria. This melancholy occurrence cast a gloom over Congress. Its fatality, independently of the merits of the deceased, produced a deep sensation. By those who knew him, his death is doubly grieved, his character for talents and integrity being embellished by the most endearing personal qualities. His funeral took place from the capitol on Tuesday afternoon, and was attended by all Congress, both Houses having adjourned as soon as his death was announced.

At his residence, South-Mount, South-Carolina, on the 1st of June, Ger.. THOMAS SUMTER, at a very advanced age. The following bio


graphical sketch appeared soon after, in the Charleston Evening Post.

Gen. Sumter was a native of Virginia. Early in life he came to South-Carolina, and settled in the upper country, which at that time was much harassed by the hostility of the Indians. It would seem that he then commenced his career of valor and usefulness; for we find that at the close of the Cherokee war, he accompanied Oconostotah, or "the Emperor," to England; it being common at that time to induce the Indian Chiefs to visit the mother country, for the purpose of confirming their friendship to the colonists. On returning with Oconostotah to his home, in 1763, General, then Mr. Sumter, found, amongst the Indians, one Baron des Johnnes, a French Canadian, who spoke seven of the Indian languages, and whom he suspected of being an incendiary sent to excite the tribes to hostility against their white neighbors. Sumter, with his characteristic resolution, arrested this individual, taking him single handed, in spite of the opposition of the Indians, and, at much personal risk, carrying him prisoner to Fort Prince George, on the Kehowee. Des Johnnes was afterwards sent to Charleston, where he was examined, and though his guilt was not positively proved, it was deemed expedient to send him to England.

From Gen. Sumter's letter to the State Rights Association in February last, we learn that he was in Charleston during the high excitement preceding the war of the Revolution, probably in 1774 and 1775, a time to which the letter reverts with great satisfaction, as the period when he enjoyed with the old Whig party of Carolinaan interchange of the same sentiments which animate the Nullifiers of the present day.

We next meet with the name of Sumter in the history of this state, in 1780. He had been previously a colonel of one of the continental regiments, and when in that year the British had overrun the state, he would not remain to submit, but retired with other determined patriots into North-Carolina. During his abscence his house was burned, and his family turned out of doors by the British. The little band of exiles in North-Carolina chose him their leader, and at their head he returned to face the victorious enemy. When this gallant incursion was made, the people of the state had for the most part abandoned the idea of resistance, and military operations had been suspended for nearly two months. His followers were in a great measure unfurnished with food, clothing, and ammunition. Farming utensils were worked up by common blacksmiths to supply them with arms. Household pewter was melted into bullets; and they sometimes engaged with not three rounds to a man. With a volunteer force thus equipped, he commenced hostilities, and broke the quiet of subjection into which Carolina seemed to be sinking.

On the 12th July, 1780, he attacked a British detachment on the Catawba, supported by a considerable force of tories-and totally routed and dispersed the whole force, killing Capt. Hack, who commanded the British, and Col. Ferguson who commanded the Tories. Animated by this success, the inhabitants flocked to his standard; and being reinforced to the number of 600 men, he made a spirited attack on the British post at Rocky Mount, but was repulsed. Marching immediately in quest of other detachments of the enemy, in eight days after, he attacked the post at the Hanging Rock, where he annihilated the Prince of Wales's Regiment, and put to flight a large body of Tories from North-Carolina. When Sumter's men went into this battle, not one of them had more than ten bullets, and towards the close of the fight, the arms and ammunition of

the fallen British and Tories were used by the Americans.

While the American army, under the unfortunate Gates, were approaching Camden, Col. Sumter was on the west bank of the Wateree, augmenting his forces and indulging the hope of intercepting the British on their way to Charleston, as their retreat or defeat was confidently expected. He here formed a plan for reducing a British redoubt at Wateree Ferry, and intercepting a Convoy on the road from Charleston to Camden, in both of which objects he fully succeeded-and the news of his success reached Gates, while that officer was retreating after his defeat. Hearing of the disaster at Camden, Sumter retreated with his prisoners and spoils up the Wateree, to Fishing Creek, where he was overtaken by Tarleton on the 18th. The Americans had been four days without provisions or sleep, and their videttes being exhausted, suffered them to be surprised; the consequence was their total rout and dispersion. The loss which Sumter sustained was, however, soon repaired, for in three days he rallied his troops, and was again at the head of a respectable force. At the head of his little band, augmented from time to time by reinforcements of volunteers, he kept the field unsupported ; while, for three months, there was no regular or Continental army in the state. He shifted his position frequently in the vicinity of Broad, Enoree and Tyger Rivers, maintaining a continual skirmishing with the enemy, beating up their quarters, cutting off their supplies, and harassing them by incessant incursions and alarms.

On the 12th of November he was attacked at Broad-river by a corps of British infantry and dragoons under Major Weyms. He utterly defeated them and took their commander prisoner. On the 20th of November, he was attacked at Black Stocks, on Tiger River, by Tarleton, whom he repulsed after a severe and obstinate action. Tarleton claimed a victory-on which Cornwallis wrote to him "I wish you joy of your success, but wish it had not cost you so much." The loss of the Americans was trifling compared to that of the British, but Gen. Sumter received a wound in the shoulder, that for several months interrupted his gallant career. He was placed, we are told, in a raw bullock's hide, suspended between two horses, and thus carried by a guard of his men to the mountains. A few days after, Cornwallis wrote to Tarleton, "I shall be very glad to hear that Sumter is in condition to give you no farther trouble; he certainly has been our greatest plague in this country."

[ocr errors]

On the 13th of January, 1781, the old Congress adopted a resolution of thanks to General Sumter for his eminent services.

After the battles fought by Gen. Greene, and the departure of Cornwallis for Virginia, Gen. Sumter, who had just recovered from his wound, collected another force, and early in February, 1781, crossed the Congaree and destroyed the magazines at Fort Granby. On the advance of Lord Rawdon from Camden, Sumter retreated-and immediately menaced another British post. Two days after, he defeated an escort of the enemy, and captured the wagons and stores which they were conveying from Charleston to Camden. He next, with 250 horesmen, swam across the Santee, and advanced on Fort Watson, but retreated on the approach of Lord Rawdon to its relief. On his return to Black river he was attacked by Major Fraser with a very large force. Fraser lost twenty men and retreated. Having thus cheered the spirits of the people of the centre of the state, he retired to the borders of North-Carolina. In March, 1781, he raised three regiments of regulars. His previous enterprises had all

been executed by militia. He subsequently took part in the military movements in the lower country, until the close of the war, and co-operating with Marion, struck many successful blows at the British, and was distinguished in the several actions which were fought between Orangeburgh and Charleston.

After the peace, Gen. Sumter was a distinguished member of the State Convention, in which he voted with those who opposed the adoption of the Federal Constitution, on the ground that the states were not sufficiently shielded by it against federal usurpation. He was afterwards selected one of the five members from that state in the House of Representatives of the first Congress, under the Constitution, and continued to represent South-Carolina in the national councils until 1808. He took an active part with the other members from this state, in denouncing a petition for the abolition of slavery, which was presented from the Quakers of Pennsylvania,

For many years, the veteran patriot has lived in retirement amid the respect and affection of his neighbors, and lately, we regret to learn, in limited circumstances. He retained, however, his fine spirit unbroken to the end, and at the age of nearly a hundred years, exhibited the cheerfulness and fire of youth. But a few weeks before his death, he vaulted into the saddle with the activity of a young man, and the faculties of the mind retained their vigor as well as those of the body.

It is to be regretted that of a life so full of heroic and romantic interest as that of Gen. Sumter, the printed records are so meagre and general. It is said, that he would himself write no memoirs of his life, and that he was very averse to relating his adventures. We are informed, hovever, that a gentleman abundantly competent to the task, has been for some time preparing his biography, and we trust that the public will soon receive the benefit of his labors.



By J. &. J. Harper, New-York-The Life of Wiclif, by Charles Webb Le Bas, M. A. Professor in the East-India College, Herts, and late Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge, 1 vol. Embellished with a portrait of Wiclif, being No. 1 of the Theological Library.

By Carey & Lea, Philadelphia-A Practical Treatise on Rail-roads, and Interior Communication in general. Containing an account of the performances of the different Locomotive Engines at and subsequent to the Liverpool Contest; upwards of two hundred and sixty experiments; with tables of the comparative value of Canals and Rail-roads, and the power of the present Locomotive Engines. Illustrated by numerous Engravings, by Nicholas Wood, Colliery Viewer, Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, &c. First American, from the second English edition, with corrections, notes, and additions; also, an Appendix, containing a detailed account of a number of Rail-roads in Europe, and in the United States.-The Alhambra, by the Author of the Sketch Book, 1 vol. 12mo.-Swallow Barn, or a Sojourn in the Old Dominion, 2 vols. 12mo.


J. & J. Harper, New-York, have in pressThe Consistency of the Whole Scheme of Revelation with itself, and with Human Reason, by P. N. Shuttleworth, D. D. Warden of New College, Oxford.-History of the Inquisition, by Joseph Blanco White, M. A. of the University of Oxford.-History of the Principal Councils, by J. H. Newman, M. A. Fellow of Oriel College, Oxford.-The Lives of the Continental Reformers, No. 1.-Life of Martin Luther, by Hugh James Rose, B. D. Christian Advocate in

the University of Cambridge.-The Later Days of the Jewish Polity; with a copious Introduction and Notes (chiefly derived from the Talmudists and Rabbinnical Writers.) With a view to illustrate the Language, the Manners, and general History of the New Testament, by Thomas Mitchell, Esq. A. M.-History of the Church in Ireland, by C. R. Elrington, D. D. Regius Professor of Divinity, in the University of Dublin.-The Divine Origin of the Christian Revelation demonstrated in an analytical Inquiry into the Evidence on which the Belief of Christianity has been established, by William Rowe Lyall, M. A. Archdeacon of Colchester.History of the Reformed Religion in France, by Edward Smedley, M. A. late Fellow of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge.-Illustrations of Eastern Manners, Scriptural Phraseology, &c. by Samuel Lee, Regius Professor of Hebrew in the University of Cambridge.-History of Sects, by F. E. Thompson, M. A.-Sketch of the History of Liturgies: comprising a particular Account of the Liturgy of the Church of England, by Henry John Rose, Fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge.-History of the Church in Scotland. By Michael Russell, LL. D. author of the "Connexion of Sacred and Profane History. The Life of Grotius, by James Nichols, F. S. A. author of "Arminianism and Calvinism compared."

Lilly & Wait, Boston, have in press, Letters upon Natural History, Geology, Chemistry, the Application of Steam, and the more interesting Discoveries in the Arts. By Timothy Flint. Designed for the use of the higher classes in Schools; 1 vol. 8vo.

By Carey & Lea, Philadelphia-Heidenmauer, or Pagan Camp, by the Author of the Spy, 2 vols. 12mo.

« ZurückWeiter »